No fewer than 344 students kidnapped from Government Science Secondary School, Kankara in Katsina State by Boko Haram last Friday have been released.
Abdul Labaran, Director-General, Media to the Katsina State governor, Aminu Masari confirmed the release of the students to Vanguard, last night.
Labaran said the children were being transported from the bush where the bandits released them.
Recall that the students were kidnapped by Boko Haram, which attacked the school last Friday.
Before the students were freed, a distraught teenager and a student of the school in Kankara, had earlier day in a video by Boko Haram called on Governor Aminu Masari of the state to disband the local vigilante groups, withdraw troops and cancel formal schools in the state.
Speaking in English and Hausa in the video seen by AFP, the boy said he was among 520 students taken by “the gang of Abu Shekau.”
BokoHaram in two separate videos, showed the schoolboys seized in a mass kidnap in Kankara, and had claimed responsibility for the abduction.
The last Friday attack on the rural school in Kankara, was initially blamed on criminals, known as bandits, who have terrorised the region for years.
This came as the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, accused an unnamed governor in one of the North-West states of being behind the increased wave of banditry in the region.
Meanwhile, National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Prince Uche Secondus, yesterday, teamed up with hundreds of women and youths to demand the immediate and safe rescue of the abducted students.
In another development, Coalition of Northern Groups, CNG, yesterday, shelved its planned #BringBackOurBoys street protest to demand action for the immediate rescue of the school children.
count | 17