The Joint Action Committee (JAC), consisting of the Non Academic Staff Union of universities (NASUU) and the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), of Plateau State University, Bokkos, has threatened to embark on an indefinite strike action, from Monday, July 22, if the demand for the payment of areas of Earned Allowance of the 2009 agreement amounting to Six Hundred and Seven million naira, as of December 2018, are not met.
The declaration was jointly made by Comrades Jok Rwang Pam, the Chairman of NASUU and JAC and Timnan Nandap, his SSANU counterpart, after the third day of peaceful demonstration within the university premises.
They frowned at the manner at which the university management has been handling issues related to staff welfare, stating a nonchalant attitude and failure after promising to pay areas of 2018 at installments.
They chairmen who maintained that JAC has followed due process in pursuing their needs and have finally lost confidence in management because of several failed promises, mentioned some of the other issues of contention wth management to include,
- Refusal of management to include unions in Committee of Scheme of Service
- Refusal of management to pay Heads of Units responsibility allowance, while they enjoy same.
- Refusal to implement the 2014 resolution of Council on pension and graduity.
- Refusal to place staff on proper Grade Levels as spelt out by the scheme of service, sighting instance where professional accountants are placed on level 07 instead of 09.
- Reduction of annual leave from forty two days to thirty days and reduction of retirement age from sixty five to sixty among others.
They called on the Visitor and Governor of Plateau State, Simon Lalong, the Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Governing Council, Prof. Attahiru Jega and the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Yohana Izam, to do the needful in order to avert the impending strike action.
count | 182